Easy Salmon Cakes

This is another recipe that I just created in my head and never actually put to paper. That is, until I used it as an example in a paper for my Natural Language Processing course. The paragraph below the recipe explains further. Hope you like it! These salmon cakes would probably be good with the Tartar/Remoulade-Type Sauce recipe on this blog

⅓ cup finely chopped bell pepper
¼ cup finely chopped celery
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
⅛ teaspoon minced lemon rind
¼ cup flat-leaf parsley
½ tsp garlic powder
1 ½ tsp Old Bay Seasoning
½ tbsp hot sauce
2 6oz cans salmon
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 egg
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350ยบ.
Combine bell pepper, celery, parsley, lemon rind, lemon juice, mayonnaise, Old Bay, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
Mix in salmon, egg, and ½ cup breadcrumbs.
Roll mixture into balls.
Roll balls into remaining breadcrumb.
Flatten into cakes.
Spray 8x8 inch oven-safe pan with cooking spray.
Arrange cakes in pan.
Bake cakes for 10 to15 minutes until cakes begin to brown.
Broil for 10 to 15 minutes until tops of cakes are golden brown.

Please note that this sample recipe is one of my own creation. It is based on a recipe called “Easy Crab Cakes,” which was a promotion for Chicken of the Sea canned crab that I found in a Sunday coupon circular. As I don’t like crab, I substituted salmon. I made other changes to suit my taste. As I’d prefer my waist not to expand, I changed cooking method from frying in butter to a combination of baking and broiling, to approximate the texture of frying. Most importantly, please note that when I make this recipe, I do not measure anything (except for the egg and cans of salmon). I add everything to taste, and am always pleased. For the purposes of this paper, I guesstimated the amounts of the ingredients. I do not guarantee good, let alone edible, results if you follow the recipe exactly as it appears here. You have been warned. Also, for the purposes of this paper, I arranged the individual steps on separate lines, for easier viewing. The procedures of most recipes are written in paragraph form.

-Elena

Comments

Popular Posts