Black Bean and Quinoa Cakes

Yield: about 1 dozen patties

1/3 yellow onion, peeled and cut into chunks
3 or 4 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
½ bell pepper cut into chunks
¼ - ½ chipotle pepper in adobo, cut into chunks
½ cup flat leaf parsley and/or cilantro, roughly chopped
¼ cup quinoa, prepared according to package microwave directions. Don’t forget to rinse it first.
1/8 or so cup frozen corn. Throw it in with the quinoa when it has about 3 minutes remaining to cook.
1 15 oz can black beans
½ cup breadcrumb
1 egg - The egg may not be necessary. The protein and carbs in the beans and quinoa may be enough to make it hold together in a patty. The next time I make these, I’ll see what happens if I omit the egg
½ tbsp cumin
½ tbsp oregano
1 tsp lemon or lime juice
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper

Finely chop first 5 ingredients in a food processor. Empty into a mixing bowl.

Now, put about ¾ of the black beans and ¾ of the quinoa and corn mixture into the food processor and pulse until the mixture is a rough paste. Empty this paste into the mixing bowl.

The rest of the beans and quinoa go into the food processor to be roughly chopped. Then, into the mixing bowl with them.

Mix the contents of the mixing bowl, add the egg, and then add enough breadcrumbs so that the mixture holds its shape when formed into a patty. Stir in cumin, oregano, salt and pepper, and lemon juice to taste. If the lemon juice makes the mixture too wet again, add a bit more breadcrumbs so that the mixture is the correct consistency once again.

Form into patties about 1 ½ inch in diameter and ½ inch thick. This should make 11 or 12 patties. Bake for about 20 – 25 minutes in a 350° oven.

As with most of the “cake” or patty recipes I make, I froze these to eat later. I arranged them in a single layer on a wax-paper lined baking sheet, covered with plastic wrap as best as I could. When they are frozen, pop them into a food storage bag. On the busy work night when I want to eat them, I preheat my toaster oven to 350° or so and bake 3 or 4 of them (or 6, depending on if Jeff is eating too) until hot.

-Elena

Comments

Elena said…
Hi!

Thanks for your interest! You can contact the blog moderator via the link on the left sidebar under "Thoughts" for a link exchange.

You blog looks like a lot of fun!
Elena said…
I just made this again, without eggs, and it seems to have worked. I did have to include approximately the same amount of breadcrumb, though. Unfortunately, I also omitted the corn. I forgot that I didn't have any. Also, I realized that corn or no, this is not an appealing-looking mixture. Don't let this deter you, though. It is tasty!
Elena said…
Actually, it was probably about 1/2 as much breadcrumb than what was noted in the recipe. I probably used about 1/4 cup this time.

Popular Posts