Creating the Perfect Cubano

The cubano sandwich is a hearty pork sandwich, from Cuba, that has become increasingly popular in the US. My first cubano experience was at a Cuban lunch counter in Miami in 1999. I still remember it. Its been my favorite sandwich ever since.

To make one yourself, you'll need good bread- a sourdough or country white bread. If you can get your hands on some Italian bread, all the better. You'll also need some roasted pork, ham, cheese (I used pepper jack, though swiss is traditional), pickles and high quality mustard.



We had some leftover pork loin from Easter dinner so I used that, some healthy choice ham, long Meijer brand "Slickles" and fancy mustard (that was full of whole mustard seeds). Another important ingredient is butter. I prefer Brummel & Brown yogurt butter (tub) to regular butter or margarine. And they claim its healthier, but who knows anymore.

You'll want to assemble your sandwich as in the photos and grill it on a nonstick pan with a press (we just got one as a wedding gift. It is awesome.) Butter the pan and the sandwich and grill away! Enjoy with a beer or two and a bowl of black bean soup! ~Dominic

Comments

Popular Posts