Feijoada with Turkey Sausage


I made a variation of the Brazilian national dish, feijoada (fezsh-WAH-da), today. In Brazil, feijoada is an all day affair both in its preparation and consumption. I first enjoyed feijoada on my travels to Brasilia, Goiania, and São Paulo. This version is a bit less onerous and ceremonial, and not quite as fattening. I used turkey sausage as the main meat, but of course it should really be pork. Nonetheless, it turned out really well. Here is how I made it:

Soak half a pound of black beans in hot water for 1 hour. Then boil them for another hour until soft but firm. Drain and rinse. Put b
ack on stove. Add half a cup of water and a teaspoon of beef bullion. Keep on low heat.

Fry six links of turkey sausage- I used the hot Italian flavor. Brown sausage and cut into slices. It won't be completely done, but that is okay because you will then put it all into the simmering bean broth.

Add a few whole chili peppers- cut lengthwise. Add a dash or two of corn starch to thicken it up - I'd recommend about a tablespoon. Let it simmer all day or until you are ready to eat it.

Serve
feijoada with rice, refried collard greens (couve mineira), roasted cassava flour (farofa), a sliced orange, and light beer. To learn more about feijoada, click here.

~Dominic

Popular Posts