Mushroom Ragout

This recipe is inspired by one I saw a few years ago on Everyday Food. I’ve made it a gazillion times, but thought it wasn’t blog-worthy because it is so simple. Well, I’ve changed my mind.

½ # mushrooms. I usually use crimini or button, but have used shiitake. I guess you can use whatever mushroom you’d like.
1 large clove garlic, chopped
1 Tbs chopped onion
1 Tbs tomato paste
¼ C sherry
¼ C water
¼ tsp dried thyme
Small handful roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
Olive oil or bacon fat or combo
Salt
Black pepper

Clean any lingering dirt off mushrooms with a damp towel. Cut them in half or in quarters depending on their size. To cook off some of the water in the mushrooms, sauté over medium heat in a non-stick skillet with no fat in the pan for a few minutes. When the mushrooms start smelling aromatic and just begin to glisten, add whatever fat you’re using and the onions and garlic. Add salt and pepper. Cook until the onions and garlic are almost tender. Add tomato paste and cook for a few seconds. Pour in a few glugs of sherry and an approximately equal amount of water. Add the thyme and more salt and pepper. Simmer for a few minutes until sauce thickens a bit, maybe 5 to 10 more minutes. Throw in the parsley. Taste again and reseason if necessary.

You have now created a pan of versatile deliciousness. You will enjoy it as suggested in the original recipe, over broiled polenta topped with goat cheese. Or, you can choose one of these combinations: over pasta, gnocchi, grits (whisk in a little cream cheese and Locatelli), toasted slices of baguette, or Israeli couscous, and topped with goat cheese, Locatelli, ricotta, or mozzarella; any of which I have consumed con mucho gusto on many an occasion. (OK, I never had it with ricotta, but I’m sure it would be good).

Comments

Elena said…
I just made this and was thinking about how I could turn it into a soup. I guess I've found my answer here:

http://smittenkitchen.com/2011/01/mushroom-and-farro-soup/#more-7134
Elena said…
The next time I make this, I'm going to add a pinch of smoked paprika. Should work really well.

Popular Posts